My research is interdisciplinary, focusing on the social science dimensions of climate variability and climate change. My work explores risk perception, risk communication and public engagement with climate change; and the implications of these areas for policy and practice.
I like to experiment with different methodologies, using methods which hold most promise for the research questions I set out to answer. I have published research using survey, interview, focus group, expert elicitation, photo-elicitation and Q methods; and content, frame and critical visual analysis.
I am lead/sole investigator for the following projects (see drop-down menu for details):
- 2021-23: Leverhulme Research Fellowship ‘The visual life of climate change’
- 2020-21: Norwegian Environment Agency, Special Issue on Climate Change Communication
- 2019-21: ESRC Impact Accelerator Account: ‘Picturing climate change: media training for human editors and machine algorithms’
- 2013-2015: Exeter University HASS funded project ‘Media and the cultural politics of climate change: tracking the coverage of the IPCC Fifth Assessment Report’
- 2012-2017: ESRC Future Research Leader Fellowship ‘Visualising Climate Change’
I was also a co-investigator on the following project:
- 2015-15: ESRC Urgent funded project ‘The 2013/14 Winter Floods and Policy Change’. See Winter Floods Project Website for more details.
Policy and practice
My research has contributed to the development of public policy. I have contributed to research about community safety concerning bushfire risk (including a report for the Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission); and in defining and assessing maladaptation in the water sector. I have also contributed to public engagement with climate change activities beyond academia, with past projects including a silver medal-winning garden for the RHS Chelsea Flower Show, ‘The 2050 Garden’. More recently, I have been working with media organisations in a process of opening up the visual climate discourse. This has involved Getty Images, the World Press Photo Foundation and Climate Visuals (part of Climate Outreach, a charity where I sit on the International Advisory Board).